How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a mother of 3 children and my ex-husband took a job

Customer Question

HI, I am a mother of 3 children and my ex-husband took a job overseas, taking his money with him: he made himself a non0Australian resident for tax purposes so that as far as the ATO and child support were concerned, he earned nothing in Australia, so when the marriage dissolved, I had no way to claim anything. The children then were 3,5,7 years old. The children are now 23, 25 and 27 and my ex-husband has now bought property in Australai and is planning to move back here early next year. Is there an legal limitation or reason why I cannot now sue him for back payment of child maintenance together with interest on that as compensation for all the loans I had to take out to support them while I had no other assistance? Many thanks...
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I originally asked child support (20 years ago ) and they could do nothing. I have enquired again recently and again they say they can do nothing, now because the kids are too old.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats the basics, thank you
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

Good Afternoon,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

Did you have any orders for child support or had you lodged any application for child support against him?