How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44178
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an A, I'm an Australian citizen, currently in Canada

Customer Question

I'm an A
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm an Australian citizen, currently in Canada with my partner (of 14 months) who is Scottish. She and I have been to Australia in August this year. She was allowed entry with a Class 651 Visitor Visa (expires 7 April 2017). We will return to Australia in December and plan to marry and settle in Australia.
We can provide a lot more details but are just wondering if you are able to provide advice for our circumstances please?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm enrolled and have a postal address in Queensland, but plan to live in either Queensland or Victoria upon returning.
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

I assume you wish to remain in australia once you marry.

If that is the case once married she has to apply for a partner visa before the visitors visa expires. She can then remain until the partner visa is granted.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Leon,
Yes, we do wish to remain in Australia once married.
Does it matter whether we get married in Australia or overseas?
In applying for a partner visa, is it better to apply offshore or onshore?
Does the Partner Visa involve a Bridging Visa?
Could you please quote some Australian Government Visa Subclass numbers?
Please understand this is a very critical issue for us, with very costly consequences should we not get things right. If you are very limited on what you can tell us, could you please suggest where we can get more detailed advice.
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning,

In that case you would apply for the partner visa onshore. Because she will be here.

Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?