How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44900
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently cops booked me for illegal left turn and they sent

Customer Question

HiRecently cops booked me for illegal left turn and they sent me fine but mistakenly they wrote my father's name instead Of my name. So i need some of letter in order to rectify this.
Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  lucy7368 replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Your father can dispute the ticket and request a trial. At the trial, you can explain that you were the one driving, not your father, and they should reissue the ticket in your name. They're not likely to redo it based on just a letter from anyone, because the judge needs to see your sworn testimony, and he'll want to ask the police officer who made the stop questions about who he saw/talked to at the time. You're still liable on the ticket, even if the name is wrong.

If ONLY the name is ***** ***** the driver's license number and all other identifying information is correct, you may be able to take the ticket to the courthouse and show ID to prove the mistake. In that case, you could try hiring a local attorney to send a letter, which would usually cost a few hundred dollars.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hv called civic compliance victoria and they just want letter and my licence copy
Expert:  lucy7368 replied 1 year ago.

I apologize. Your question was posted in the US legal categories, where the law is very different. I will connect you with an Australian lawyer. But you should be aware that JustAnswer experts cannot write letters for customers.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand I am very limited on what I can tell you and that you may have to get more detailed advice.

There should be a statutory declaration on the back that your father can complete and set out you were the driver of the car. They will then send you the fine and you can pay it.

If the statutory declaration is not on the back he can get one does the post office and complete it. He can call them and they will advise him where he has to send the documents.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.