How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44374
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friends boyfriend bashed her and took their child leaving

Customer Question

My friends boyfriend bashed her and took their child leaving my friend on side of road and not within walking distance of a town. He took car keys and hitched a ride with said child. She called police to come and get her. Now father's family have kept child(who is in another town now) from mother and police say they can't do anything! The mother(my friend) is very distressed.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No as its a Sunday not sure where to go
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My friend when picked up by police took an avo on father last night
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Police say they can't get her daughter back until father wants to
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Police have also said nothing can be done til mother goes to see solicitor tomorrow and family law court!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is very unfair on mother. Is there anything she can do?
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Your friend should go to Legal Aid and see a Family Law Solicitor and file an application for a recovery order.

Here is some information.

She can have this filed on an urgent basis.

The police will not assist with getting back the child without the order.

The police can only deal with criminal and violence matters.

But the recovery order is the way to go and it has to be done urgently.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.