How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44191
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just had a question about suing for back pay? I work at

Customer Question

Hi, I just had a question about suing for back pay? I work at hungry jacks and in the collective agreement on fair work Australia it says that we are supposed to be paid time and a quarter on weekends. I have been working on Saturday and Sunday for about 2 years and never been paid any penalty rates and when I asked about it the manager said they aren't supposed to. So I'm just wondering who else I could check on this with because I know hungry jacks have failed to pay penalty rates before so I don't trust them.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I'm just starting to look into it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that comes to mind right now, thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If you have evidence of your shifts and the fault to pay you can commence proceedings in the Magistrates court. and sue them for the money plus interest and costs. QCAT may not have jurisdiction.

You should start asap. Send them a letter demanding the money and give them 21 days to pay and if the dont then you will sue.

Here is a summary of the process in QLD

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.