How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44340
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with Disorderly Conduct in Launceston

Customer Question

I have been charged with Disorderly Conduct in Launceston Tas, I have a Court date in 12 days time. I am currently on Chemotherapy and daily Radiation treatment due to Lung Cancer, do I have to appear in Court or can a Barrister represent me without my appearance?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning,

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You need to let the court know and the other side that you are unable to attend and seek an adjournment.

Even if you have a barrister appearing for you, it is common courtesy that they notify and provide evidence to the court and the other side to get the adjournment.

You wil not have to appear and the court will accept the letter from the doctor and give you a new date.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Disorderly conduct is a relative minor charge I would think, is it possible to plead not guilty or worth while as when charged I had 4 weeks prior surgery to remove one lung & I was on a host of medication from Pain killers to Morphine
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

You will have to enter a plea the court will not allow it just to go away. If you agree with the facts you have to plead guilty and because of your early plea and you condition the court may no record a conviction and simply give you a good behaviour bond.