How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44619
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to withdraw my sponsorship for my ex-wife. she is

Customer Question

I want to withdraw my sponsorship for my ex-wife.
she is currently living in Australia on 'contributory parents' visa subclass173 for 2 years.
I am the sponsor on behalf of the children.
What are the consequences for me if I do so?
I have signed form 40 which mean I have the obligation to support her
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She is Pakistani National but all of the children are Australian citizens because of their Australian father.
will she be allowed to stay on this basis?
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You need to notify the department and let them know that you have separated and no longer wish to continue with the sponsorship.

The Department will then deal with her visa. They will determine if they deport her or if she can stay it all depends on what she can tell them.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Leon for your response.
I just want to clarify we were separated in 2008 and divorced in 2014, I sponsored her in 2015 on behalf of my children so department already knows about it. i.e. She does not have any relationship with me. So I can say that i don't wish to continue my sponsorship for her.
Do you know any particular document or 'form' I have to fill in? do you have any advice in this regard?
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.

Good Evening.

So your children are the sponsors of their mother?

How old are they?

If you agreed to pay her bills while here you can withdraw that

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They are 12, 11 and 8 years old
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have signed 'form 40' which means I am responsible for her bills during her stay.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is any particular form I have to fill in to withdraw my sponsorship?
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.

Good Morning.

You have to send a letter to the department noting the file number and setting out that you have decided to withdraw your sponsorship for this person. It is the same as withdrawing a visa Application.

The department will then start the process.

A letter will be enough.

All the best