How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44179
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 12 year old granddaughter has just been suspended from

Customer Question

My 12 year old granddaughter has just been suspended from school for a month (that is after these 2 weeks holiday is finished) for possessing, selling and taking drugs. Her real father passed away 12 months ago and she now lives with her mother (my daughter) and step-father. She has a sister 6 years younger than her and has always been responsible for looking after her. Her step-father and mother idolise the younger one and have no time for her. She also has a brother 8 years older than her ( all 3 from different fathers which I don't agree with) who is very concerned about her. Can we get custody of this unloved child?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

As a grand parent you can apply. You are recognised under the law.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court and

You will also need to have your own solicitor.

I hope his makes sense and is of assistance. If there is noting further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.