How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has died in Australia and has named me virbaly as

Customer Question

My brother has died in Australia and has named me virbaly as next of kin. I live in NZ and have an older brother in Ireland. The deceased brother has no wife or children. We do not know if he has a will but we do not think he owned any assets but he will have a bank account.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: What process is required to prove next of kin?
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Only hospital records which use my name as next of kin
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I find what bank account he may have
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Is there anyone in Australia you can rely on?

Did he have any assets?

Are his parents still alive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Leon
We can rely on the publcan where he was living.
We do not think he has any assests but probably has a bank account in Mt Morgan
His parents are dead
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

If he has no assets there is nothing to be done.

If he has assets then you will need to apply for letters of administration.

Who ever you rely on will be appointed and they will then deal with the assets as per the court orders.

You will need to provide evidence of your parents not being alive and you and your other brother being the sole beneficiaries.

He may have had bank accounts and super as well.

you may have to fly over and search his papers.