Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I just opened a letter from previous employer. They

Customer Question

Hi, I just opened a letter from previous employer. They apparently overpaid $6,136.13 in incorrect Distrct Allowance & $582.93. Tney would like repayment, now. What are my options, please?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You have to repay it.

Your options are to reach an agreement and pay back by instalments. Alternatively borrow the money and pay it in full and repay the loan.

You cannot refuse to repay it back. You are not entitled to it and they have a right to sue you for it.

If you wish to pay it back by instalments you should make an offer to pay it back in less than 2 years. If it goes to court they will not give you more time and you will also have to pay legal costs court costs and interests.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards