Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

JUST RECENTLY I HAVE HAD SOMEBODY PUT A UNTRUE STATEMENT ON

Customer Question

HI JUST RECENTLY I HAVE HAD SOMEBODY PUT A UNTRUE STATEMENT ON FACE BOOK ABOUT MY FAMILY BUSINESS I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN TAKE THEM TO COURT FOR DEFAMATION
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?
Customer: NORTH QUEENSLAND
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO NOT YET
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO I DONT THINK SO
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
In short, unless it was on printed media / television and the like then no, it would not be commercially viable to sue them. A court will literally dismiss the claim.

You can however threaten them with suing them, in a hope to have them settle and provide an apology on facebook, with a withdrawal of the statement.