How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5421
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in 2006 in bali to an indonesian had a church

Customer Question

I was married in 2006 in bali to an indonesian had a church wedding and also civil ceremony in denpasar if iam wanting to obtain a divorce where do i apply for this
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Qld
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not as yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Wanting advise on where do i apply in indonesia or aust
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 11 months ago.

If you are resident in Australia then you can get divorced in Australia.

The family court has 'do it yourself' divorce kits and a way you can apply online:

There are essentially two different processes for divorcing depending on whether your spouse will cooperate with the divorce or not.

Also be aware you must have separated for at least a year before you can get a divorce, although in some circumstances separation can occur even though you are still living in the same residence. The kits have information on this issue which you should read if you are uncertain.

Finally, divorce ends your marriage, so you will be free to remarry, but it does not deal with any property dispute or division you may need to make, nor finalise any parenting disputes about custody or access which may be occurring, as these involve separate family court procedures, and will generally require the involvement of a lawyer, whilst divorce itself can be achieved without the need to involve lawyers.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer.