How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44382
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have been a lawful resident of Australia from 28th March

Customer Question

have been a lawful resident of Australia from 28th March 2013 to do my PhD in chemical engineering in Monash University. During last three years, I was living for 1 year and two months outside Australia ( Feb-March 2014) and (Aug 9th 2015- Aug 1st 2016). My second stay abroad (Aug 9th 2015- Aug 1st 2016) was completely related to my PhD project in Australia.
I want to apply for PR during the coming December. Then for applying for citizenship, I was wondering if they ignore this one year absence. Because I have been engaged in particular kinds of work for a year that required me to travel outside Australia. It was a part of my PhD work but I had to travel USA. Am i reliable for special residency requirement mentioned in page 2 of the attached PDF?
Any help our guidance will be really appreciated.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Were you on a student visa at the time of your study?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am on a student visa at the time
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Your visa is a temporary visa.

Are you currently in Australia?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in USA
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in australia
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

What visa are you currently on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Student visa. I want to apply for PR
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Here is some information

Apply for permanent residency

Many international students enjoy their time in Australia so much that they apply for permanent residency so they can continue to live and work in Australia. You can express your interest in applying for permanent residency through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's SkillSelect migration program, which could lead to permanent residency through a Skilled Independent Visa, the Employer Nomination Scheme or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. For more information, see the Migrating to Australia section.

After having your skills assessed through a points test (resulting in a points score), you may then be invited to apply for a visa. Those students who do not pass the points test or meet the requirements of SkillSelect may be able to complete further studies or apply for one of the temporary visa options above to stay in Australia and develop their skills.

and the link it came from.

Alternatively apply for a 457 temporary visa and after 2 years you can them go to a permanent visa

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.