How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Pensioner and inherited a house when my mother passed

Customer Question

I am a Pensioner and inherited a house when my mother passed on. I have since sold it and gifted 100K to my ex-wife.How will Centrelink treat this issue and will my Pension be penalised?Thank you.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The house was in Victoria and I live in QLD
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, but different officers at Centrelink tell me different things
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

The issue for pensioners and centrelink is that your pension is subject to an asset test, and you cannot defeat the asset test by gifting away your assets. This means that where a pensioner gives away assessible assets, whether cash or real estate, centrelink will treat such gifted assets as still being held by the pensioner for the purposes of the asset test, and in some case this can therefore cause the pension to be adversely affected if the gift amount changes the outcome of the asset assessment.

To find out exactly how much your pension may be affected you will need to discuss your pension with Centrelink (now called the Department of Human Services) directly:

The following link and contact details should assist.

Good luck and please rate my answer.