How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5594
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a starter motor from woods auto electric under

Customer Question

I got a starter motor from woods auto electric under warranty and then I had to get it replaced because they provided me with a faulty motor. This is the 3rd time now that i've had to get this replaced and now they're telling me that i have to pay $713 for their stuff up. I have also misplaced the invoices etc for replacing the starter motor. I am at woods auto electric now and they said I cannot take my car until ive paid. Do i have to pay the $713?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.


Its their stuff up, as you have rightly suggested.

Clearly it can be proven that you purchased the starter there, so they cannot claim otherwise.

Correct, they do have a lien over the vehicle till their bill is paid, (In English, they keep the car legally till the money is paid) but in circumstances where it is their stuff up, that amount needs to be waived.

I suggest demanding that the vehicle be released or face legal action.

You can file an application here:

Please click accept / rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you.