How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44371
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I reduce a permanent part time employees hours as it is

Customer Question

Can I reduce a permanent part time employees hours as it is currently shared with the owner and the owner wants to do more hours to save overheads.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: NSW and they are a pharmacist working just over 4 years
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The employee recently complained about wanting to leave,being underpaid etc but gave her a small pay rise and told her to look elsewhere as she seems to want to venture out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

The law allows for you to restructure your business if there is a slow down in business and there is not much coming in.

Here is some information.

She can be made redundant or offered a part time position.

But her position full time must no longer be available for her to do.

If you have less than 15 employees then she is not entitled to redundancy. She is only entitled to notice any unpaid annual leave and if she has been with you for more than 5 years Long service leave on a prorata basis if less than 10 years service.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.