How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44356
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hade a lodger in my property ,stay a week didn't pay ,fill

Customer Question

I hade a lodger in my property ,stay a week didn't pay ,fill my head with all his problems ,being divorced I took him try to help ,went away to chile for a year, didn't pay anything told me to do whatever I want whit his belongeins , come back stay for about 6 months ,went back to chile for 6 months didn't pay me a cent when away , lefht a cat so I feed the cat for 2 years, now I told him not come here to live no more ,I ask him for$ 2000 for keeping his stuf and take care of the cat,so I send him a message to pay or iam not given his stuf back,i told a friend is going to acused me of stealing his belongings, which he left in my place,so is going to take to court,so I need to go to court and ask for a payment for my perils
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You cannot extort money from him this is a criminal offence. You have allowed him to live there rent free and you cannot now demand money to store his items.

If you wish to have them disposed of send him a letter asking him to come and remove them or you will seek orders to give them to charity.

If he does not respond then get an order from the magistrates court that he has abandoned the items so that you can give them to charity and throw away what is not worth anything.

But you cannot demand money to give it back to him.

Throwing it away without his permission or a court order you will be liable to compensate him if he sues.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Can you please reply here?