How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44181
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive just had a vehicle fixed at sheen panel service.For the

Customer Question

Hi,ive just had a vehicle fixed at sheen panel service.For the duration of the fix they give you a loan vehicle as part of thier service.
My car is ready to be picked up after waiting another week because sheen hadnt plugged a sensor back in!.in this time i had an accident in thier car!.now they want 3500 which i havnt got so thier keeping my car until i pay the excess and cleaning bill.can they do this and is thier any grounds to them making a mistake on my vehicle which if they had my vehicle ready on the original date i wouldnt have had the accident in thier vehicle?!.basically thier using my car against me until i pay for the loan car!
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning, .

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

The delay by them has nothing to do with the excess that you have to pay. When you were given the courtesy car you should have signed a document and it should have set out that if you have an accident the excess will be $3,500.00.

You cannot blame them for the accident unfortunately. I you did not sign anything then you can argue that they did not tell you and you have not agreed to this amount.

In relation to holding your car, they can only do that if you have given them the right to do so. If not then you have a right to get it back and you can sue them for your car.

They can only hold a lien on it if it is in the agreement and only for the cost of repairing it. Not for the excess.

If they have been paid for the repairs to your car then you are entitled to get it back and they cannot refuse to give it to you.

The police will not get involved and you will have to sue them for this and any losses you suffer as a result of them refusing to give you back the car.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.