Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My husband and I live in Queensland. We have a 19 year old

Customer Question

My husband and I live in Queensland. We have a 19 year old disabled foster son who has lived with us for 17 years. His biological father lives in Western Australia and the last family contact was when we took our foster son to Western Australia for a visit about 14 years ago. There has been no contact since then. The biological mother is deceased. We could not broach this subject prior to our foster son turning 18 because he was in the care of Child Safety. We love him dearly and he needs our continual care. We have a big family and when we are no longer around we want our family to be able to take over his care. If there is any possibility of our adopting him I want to speak to his natural dad about this. THank you,
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: I am sorry I just sent the message without my details, Helen Leneham.***@******.***
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: One of our sons is a lawyer but does not deal in this type of legal matter. I am 78 and my husband is 83 this month.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
Difficulty is, he is 18, he would be able to make his own decision as to where he is to reside at this point.
I accept he is disabled, but how? Mentally?
If so, then his dad would perhaps need to give consent, as he mentally cannot perhaps make up his own decision.