How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Punitive or exemplanetory damages in australia Are there any

Customer Question

Punitive or exemplanetory damages in australia
Are there any cases where it involves grandchildren where they have had the public advocate and the public truatee over all matters of an elderly grandmother they have not seen for 4 years and claim she in incapable and unable to handle her financial affairs .She has bank and medical reports that say that she is all ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Not that I am aware of. Punitive damages are not usually granted in Australia it is more a US thing.

Here is some information.

If the public Trustee has been granted administration there has to be medical evidence to back the case otherwise the order cannot be made.

If you say that there are other reports to the contrary, there can be an application made to change the orders.

But I cannot see that punitive damages will be awarded in this case.