How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has submitted divorce papers to the court to be

Customer Question

My son has submitted divorce papers to the court to be finalised on the 22nd this month. His wife was in full agreement and signed the papers willingly. She was not disputing assets. His wife had now decided (in a drunken stupor with the push from here friends) that she wants $10,000 from him. Before they signed the papers she wanted a car so
my son bought her a $31,000 car but she keeps on asking for money. Sorry to ramble on but he wants to know legally where he stands now that she willingly signed the divorce papers but seems to be reneging on what she signed. Can she legally do that or would the papers be classed as a contract? My sons' assets/house (which still has money owing) were his before she was in his life. The house was purchased from accident injury money and now he has another work accident money due. There are no children.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Were the papers filed with the court consent orders for the court's approval or something else?