How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate/mother figure in my life is an Australian

Customer Question

Hello, My roommate/mother figure in my life is an Australian citizen. She is 74 years old. I am a U.S. citizen. She is so much more than just a mother to me, she is my best friend, and we both know that she will be living with me until her death (whenever that might be), she has nobody in the U.S. to take care of her as she gets older, except me. So we started to talk about the idea of adoption and have decided it would be a good option, as I am the only person she trusts with her life and care and she can also receive the benefit of my insurance as well, it is cheaper, as I have a very good health insurance policy. I also have a biological child, who's father is an Australian citizen but our son was born in the U.S., I gave birth to him on my own in the U.S. and his biological father is not on my son's birth certificate, today my son is 18 years old, (the fact that his father is Australian can be proven with a DNA test and I believe my child deserves his rights as an Australian citizen as well as his rights in the U.S.) I realize our situation is complicated but I don't care, I want my roommate/foster mother and my son together with me as one family on the record, so what would you recommend?
JA: Shel and Jewel.
Customer: you can email me at***@******.*** Thanks
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We live in Phoenix, Arizona, USA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My roommate is drawing a pension from Australia and holds a "Green Card" here in the U.S. I work for the U.S. Fed Govt. We want to do this in the best legal way possible but have no idea what to do really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

In Australia you cannot adopt adults.

Are you asking about you all moving to Australia?