Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Have been contacted by Rod Denington of Worthington Cllark

Customer Question

have been contacted by Rod Denington of Worthington Cllark re. unclaimed asset in relation to the demutualisation of Colonial Mutual. Correspondence seems genuine ,asking for a percentage of any funds . Their claim is that they have traced a number of shares in our names.To your knowledge are they a legitimate company and are their requests for personal information including a Limited Power of Attorney part of normal procedures or is it some form of elaborate scam.Thank you Gareth/Janet Richards
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, can you tell me where the company is registered?
Customer: New South Wales
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Only that Wothington Clark hold a agreement signed by us which sets a deadline of thirty days for complying with their requests or they assume that we are claiming privately and as such the 30% fee will still be payable
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

You say they hold an agreement signed by you, but do you recall signing such an agreement?

Did you buy any of the shares they are claiming they have found in your names, if not what is their explanation for this?

Are they asking for money in advance or access to your accounts, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were sent an agreement in the post which we signed .The shares are a result of the demutualisation of commercial Union and were apparently given to former endowment holders even though they were not immediately informed. Subsequent move from our old address meant that the shares have been held as the holder not being traceable.Apparently this is quite a common occurrence. The shares are now held by the Commercial Bank of Australia and can be claimed via companies such as Worthington Clark who will act on your behalf with the requisite consents , id., etc
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Are you able to send me a copy of the agreement you signed? It appears to be a scam where they make money from something that you can do and lose nothing.

email is***@******.***