How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jared Pereira Your Own Question
Jared Pereira
Jared Pereira, Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 15
Experience:  Principal Solicitor at Pivot Business Lawyers
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Jared Pereira is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone purchases a house in Western Australia as an

Customer Question

If someone purchases a house in Western Australia as an investment property and there is a tenant in the house with a contract to the previous owner does the new owner have to retain that tenant or can they give them notice and put a tenant of their own choice in the property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Jared Pereira replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this depends on whether it is a fixed term or a periodic (month to month) tenancy. If it is a fixed term tenancy (say for 12 months), then the purchaser is generally bound by the lease - you can't evict them and replace them with another tenant just because you have purchased the property. If it is a month to month tenancy, then you can terminate the lease with the appropriate notice. If you really want to re-enter the property in a fixed term lease scenario, then I would suggest that you negotiate a mutual settlement. I hope this has been of assistance. Regards, Jared.