How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44181
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Australian Citizenship - Partner Visa vs Contributory Parent

Customer Question

Australian Citizenship - Partner Visa vs Contributory Parent Visa
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a dual citizen holding US and Australian citizenship. My spouse and I have 3 children together and have been married 6 years. The 3 children all have dual citizenship as well. We are planning to relocate to Australia in the near future and are weighing our options.I am interested in knowing if it is possible apply for the Contributory Parent Visa which as I understand it provides Permanent Residency status and appears to be about 1/3 the cost of the Partner Visa with much less complexity.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Here is the fact sheet for this visa

Under the partner visa they can get permanent residency as well because there are children and you have been married for 6 years they do not have to wait the 2 years on a temporary visa.

Processing times are also supposed to be faster.

All the best and good luck. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware of an understand the option of the Partner Visa. My question was actually around the option of the Contributory Parent Visa. The primary factor here as I understand it is the balance of family test. On that point it's my understanding that as the 3 children are all considered Australian citizens that even as we are outside of Australia at the moment they would still be considered as Australian residents from a Balance of Family test perspective. If that is all true would the Contributory Parent Visa be a viable alternative to the Partner Visa process?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

That is my understanding as well but it is not cheaper than the partner visa.

It is a viable alternative but in the end the choice is yours and your partners.

In these circumstances you should never do it yourself but have a Migration Agent or better still a Solicitor that is registered as an agent look at the situation and give you more detailed advise and assist in the application.

I believe that a partner visa is a better option

On the question of fees it is more expensive here is what the website says about it.

"You have to pay more for Contributory Parent visas than for most other visas. This is because many families wanted a faster visa process and were prepared to pay a higher contribution towards their family members' health and welfare costs in Australia. Visa charges cannot be waived or reduced."

Related Australia Law Questions