How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Madam , I own a 21 year old unit in Terrigal , NSW. Recently

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam ,
I own a 21 year old unit in Terrigal , NSW. Recently I discovered the "wet " area in the bathroom is limited to the shower area , which had a shower screen 18 months ago.
I had the bathroom shower screen removed( as my son ended up in a wheelchair due to illness.)
We had a shower curtain suspended from a shower rail attached to the roof installed.
I noticed mould along the skirting board along the backing wall to the bathroom ( in my bedroom )....
My plumber said the mould is due to a leak as only part of the floor has waterproofing ...only the shower area which was contained by the screen.....he says the whole bathroom needs rewater proofing to dry up and prevent more water leakage ...
the Strata Title plumber says no..!!!....all I need is to pay for a new shower screen and that will be sufficient to prevent leakage...he said to install one,& then if leakage still occurs , then the shower screen needs to be ripped out and tiles ripped up and rewater proofed just the shower area...
My plumber says NO!!!!!.....ripping out a new shower screen is a bad idea for the shower screen & that is just a "Bandaid idea "which will last 6 months to two years tops...!!....My plumber said the Strata Title should pay $10,000 to rip up the floor tiles and tiles adjacent on the walls and completely waterproof the whole bathroom THEN put the Shower screen on......Looking forward to your reply !!..
Should I do what the Strata Title people said & install a new Shower screen & see if it leaks ??...or listen to my plumber and pay $10,000 for full waterproofing and new floor & wall tiles MINUS STRATA TITLE paying for the shower area ???
Many thanks ,
Mobile(###) ###-####
home email ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Have you had a further independent person give you advise on this? The strata are they relying on a builder/plumber to give their opinion?

You need to get a detailed report, not something verbally, on where the actual leak is coming from and the cause.
I would suggest having a further independent person come and give you an opinion.