Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am working in Australia. However, I have a student loan in

Customer Question

I am working in Australia. However, I have a student loan in my home country. Is there any way I can ask my employer to directly submit some amount to my overseas bank from where I've taken that student loan, resulting in less amount of tax I pay from my salary?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It never hurts to ask your employer if they would be willing to send money from your paycheck to your loan provider but they wouldn't be legally obligated to do it for you.

It may be easier to set up an automatic payment from your bank account with the student loan servicer. It should be something they can do even though you are located in another country.

I hope this information is helpful, please don't forget to rate me!

Thank you,

Amber

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
t never hurts to ask your employer if they would be willing to send money from your paycheck to your loan provider but they wouldn't be legally obligated to do it for you. ----Will this be pretax or post tax?It may be easier to set up an automatic payment from your bank account with the student loan servicer. It should be something they can do even though you are located in another country. ---I'm already doing it but I'm paying way more tax as compared to students with Australian student loan.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You can ask but they may charge you the fee to send the money overseas.

All money you are paid is post tax. Your employer has to withhold your tax and pay it to the ATO.

If you are a resident in australia you should be taxed the same. If you are paying more tax it may be that you have not completed the document that gives you the tax free threshold.

If you are a non resident then you are on a higher tax rate and you cannot change that.