How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44346
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am renting a room in an apartment in a student

Customer Question

I am renting a room in an apartment in a student accomodation Urbanest. I pay 330$ monthly.
Yesterday my room was flooded because on of my three roommates hung something on a sprinkler and set it off. The apartment (as well as others on my floor) has severe water damage to the point that we are not allowed back. Urbanest gave a temporary room to stay in. We have to come back to this apartment when they fix it, and the guy who causes the problem will be in the same apartment than us.I talked to Urbanest's staff about I dont want to stay in this apartment, if it is possible to change of my room because I am going to travel to my country (one month) at the end of this month and I dont feel secure about him and my staff. Before this happens, my roommates send emails different times to complain about the attitude of the guy who cause this problem. He was a messy person in the apartment.They solve the problem giving two cards for $20 to buy food and give me some coins to wash my clothes that were affected by the flood. They said the rooms are all booked and they cant do anything more at the moment/I dont want to stay more in this student accomodation. It was not my fault that it happens, I pay the rent and I dont have any complaints about my person . I want to know what I could do. My contract finishes on 15 july of this year.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made a mistake ....I pay $330 per week. Thank for the help.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

You have to look at the agreement and see what it says about changing rooms.

There has to be a process in place that you have to follow.

They owe you a duty of care to ensure your safety and your person items. If they breach this then they have to pay compensation.

As they are aware of the issue they have to do something about this person.

What does your contract say about changing rooms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in another place and I am going to my apartment to get the contract. I want to ask you something else. I dont have enough money to pay a lawyer, How I could proceed? there is a place to complain about the customer service of this student accomodation? I am a student but i want that my rights are respected. I only want to leave this place. I closed to them yesterday, they told me if your floor is dry you have to stay in your apartment but if not, we could assign a temporary room.The floor of my room was very humid and they assign me a new room , but it was very dirty. I prefer to sleep in another place. But if I say anything, they dont give a new room. One of my affected roommates slept in the humid room.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

You have to look at what the contract says. If it is a lease agreement and comes under the residential tenancy laws in your state you can go to the relevant tribunal.

Also if there are any issues with the room you have to report them in writing and keep evidence because coming back later and saying you complained and nothing was done without evidence is going to be a problem. It is your word against theirs.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

So get the evidence together and you can then take them on.

All the best. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.