How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This issue regards ***** ***** My partner has derived her

Customer Question

This issue regards ***** *****
My partner has derived her income from being a sole trader for many years.
Unfortunately due to market forces her income has been diminishing over the last 2 years as has her health. Establishing a weekly or monthly net income is difficult since the profit margins on the stock can vary greatly. As an example, this last month's turnover was $1000 which may net her $600 before expenses.
We live in a defacto relationship.
Our finances are individual and stand alone. There are no shared bank accounts or any other interests.
I earn a nominal income from my Pty Ltd company that manages a company owned by myself and a sibling.
We live in a rented premises of which I pay all the rent (she stopped contributing some months ago) and receive a contribution from a 3rd party boarder.
It is my understanding that my partner 'falls through the cracks' when it comes to being eligible for any Gov't assistance.
My question is - Where can she go to seek advice on this matter independent of Centrelink itself? We are Queensland based. Any assistance would be appreciated. G
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.He best avenue is to a financial adviser or a good accountant that can prepare things in a way that Centerlink will accept. Even though you keep your finances apart you are a defect couple and your income and assets will affect what she can receive. It is the same as being married they pool it all together. You can search online for a financial adviser or she can ask her accountant to refer her. hope this makes sense and is of assistance.