How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in 1992 and have never re married. I did not

Customer Question

I was divorced in 1992 and have never re married. I did not receive any part of my xhubands super annuation. Am I still entitled to some?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,If there was no settlement at all and your husband's assets were very substantial, including superannuation, then you might still be able to bring a claim out of time, but you will need a good explanation as to why you are late.If the super was only a modest amount at the time and/or you received some settlement out of other assets, then unfortunately it is unlikely the family court would grant you leave to bring a claim after such a long amount of time.Essentially leave is only granted for a late application for property orders if the court is satisfied it would be unjust to deny the request, and given you are talking about bringing a claim 24 years after your divorce, a court would take some persuading to grant such leave.I trust the above assists.Please rate my answer.Patrick