How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask kmslaw Your Own Question
kmslaw, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 209
Experience:  I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
kmslaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been working casualy year and been receiving

Customer Question

Hi I have been working casualy for 2 year and been receiving the disability pension and haven't declared my wages I suffer with bad depression and anxiety I tried doing it on line but it didn't work and then was to scared to tell in case I end up in jail now I am so scared I don't no what to do
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I didn't no where to go and what would people think of me I don't think Centrelink no yet either
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I new I should have rang and told them but really just was to scared after I found out it didn't work on line what do you think they will do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Do you think I will go to jail I have a 2 year old and a 4 month and have never done anything wrong I my life
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor in NSW who will help with your inquiry today.It could be that in some fortnights your wages do not affect the payment of your pension because it comes within the parameters of an amount you are capable of earning without any deduction to your fortnightly payment. What is best to do is to come clean about it with Centrelink and try to come up with a payment plan to pay back any overpaid amounts. They may take a bad attitude to you not submitting your wages as they do send you out a form online that you can manually fill in and bring in to the Centrelink office to make your declaration, so declaring online is not the only way to do it. So you need to be proactive about making a list of all the wages you should have declared and what fortnights they relate to and either go into an office to declare it verbally or fill out all of the forms that have been sent to you, keep a copy and hand them over. It may be that it results in a debt with Centrelink for you. They may choose to prosecute. If they choose to prosecute you should be armed with whatever doctors reports you can get your hands on that shows the severity of your condition. You should also be armed with whatever reason you had for not fronting up to a Centrelink office in person to declare your wages, or calling them on the telephone fortnightly to report. If this does result in you having a Centrelink debt, get in touch with Centrelink immediately to come up with a payment plan via deductions from your fortnightly payments to pay it off. If you leave the debt unpaid they will prosecute you. I hope that has helped you today. Let me know if you need further guidance.
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how did you go with this problem with Centrelink? Do you need any more help? If not and you are satisfied with my answer, please rate my answer. Thanks. Kylie

Related Australia Law Questions