How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44340
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Legal guardianship of my 15year old niece JA: The Lawyer

Customer Question

Legal guardianship of my 15year old niece
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet my niece is living with her friends family s she had a family breakdown with her Dad and new step mum her mother passed away when she was six I do not like the family she lives with she is constantly being suspended from school she has had three suspension's since Easter I am very concerned about her education or lack I currently have her and her older sister seeing a psychologist with m3
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so at this stage she did live with me for a while however I live to far from her "Friends"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

Who has guardianship of her now? Are you asking about you getting guardianship?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her dad is still the parent and yes I would like to have guardianship
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

You can make an application to the family court if you cannot reach an agreement.

The following is the process

You are an interested party under the law and recognised.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court and

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.