How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the early 80's in Victoria a

Customer Question

In the early 80's in Victoria a medical student (parents also medical people) got off his speeding fine as his Barrister had case dismissed or won because the speed limit signs were not as stated in the legislation. From memory it said they were rectangular and the Barrister pointed out they were not. The law was immediately changed to prevent this defense being used again. I am looking for this case to use as a precedent for myself.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good eveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.It is not an easy task. You can search austlii all cases are published. If ti was not published you will not find it in any database. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really, I know not all cases are published, hoping this one was as legislation had to be changed as a result of the case. I know there are resources for searching for cases, problem is I don't have any details of the case just approx years and that it was about a traffic offense in Victoria. I was therefore hoping someone may have some more information.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningYou have to go back in history with the legislation and see when it was changed. Austlii is a very good database. Do you know the legislation and the section? You can use that to see how it was changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I see so far is that you grabbed my question when you had no knowledge of it whatsoever. Your replies have been of no use to me at all. I see no point in continuing this conversation. I will be requesting a refund.