Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Can you advise me about the following. Would it make any difference

Customer Question

Can you advise me about the following. Would it make any difference for a rain station to require pre registration with conditions for participants to agree to prior to entering a competition, instead of the competition appearing in a newspaper article or on a radio station?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.I am not sure what you are asking? Do you have an agreement with the radio station?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leon, no I do not have an agreement with a radio station. I participated in a public event as advertised by a radio station and newspaper to complete a run up a 20 story tourist attraction in 30 minutes. No pre registration nor conditions were applied for participants to agree to before entering the competition. The run was completed in 23 minutes. As I was about at level 3 during the run, the organisers decided to cancel the event via loudspeaker by a representative of the radio station promoting and running the event, after I had accepted the offer and was well underway. They are now saying that I am not entitled to the money because they cancelled the event (after I had accepted and started and secondly they stated that it was to be completed IN 30 MINUTES. I did it in 23 minutes and under the 30 minutes stipulated. My other question is would it have made any difference if I had completed a pre competition registration and agreed to the terms and conditions required for participants to abide by before entering the competition?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonWhat were the condition of this event do you have a copy of the ad from the paper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The conditions of the event is that the 20 floors was to be completed IN 30 MINUTES, no other conditions were applied, no pre registration required prior to the event. I don't have the advertisement. The only conditions were that the event be completed IN 30 minutes. It was advertised on a radio station and in a local newspaper.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonIf you did this you got paid how much?Did you complete it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 grand and yes i did however I completed it in UNDER 30 minutes and not IN 30 minutes as advertised. Further as I was on the third floor a representative of the radio station cancelled the event but I kept going.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
You have a right to claim the prize provided it was done before they cancelled. Did they know you had started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hadn't completed the event before they cancelled and was only on the third floor when they cancelled. No they didn't know I started as there was no pre registration process. It was in response to the advertisement in the newspaper and on the radio. Would it have made a difference if I had pre registered and agreed to the terms prior to the event.?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonThe fact that they did not know is an issue. If you were told and informed only 3 floors up you may have an issue claiming the money. If you discovered after you finished then you can sue them for it. If they were aware that you took it on and was walking then they have a problem because they offered the money and you took them up on the challenge. They would have to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My other question is would it have made any difference if I had completed a pre competition registration and agreed to the terms and conditions required for participants to abide by before entering the competition?.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonYes it would have made a difference. By doing this you agree to the terms and they are also bound. If they were going to cancel they would have had to notify you before you started.