Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My dad sold a boat the purchaser agreed to $5000 he took the

Customer Question

My dad sold a boat the purchaser agreed to $5000 he took the boat as is and said he would pay the rest in a couple of weeks he registered the boat in his name and then rang my father and told him he had given my brother $1500 and that's all he's getting what can we do to recover the $2000 that's still outstanding my dad is a pensioner and is 82 years old I feel he's been taken advantage of .regards ***** *****
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: The transaction took place in June 2015
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so this person was known by my brother but now they don't talk because of this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
helloWas there anything written that was agreed upon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just a hand shake in front of myself and brother
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Seriously, a court would have significant issue accepting that your father would simply let someone else have a boat, transfer title before full payment is made. Not without something in writing anyway and especially with having 2 other witnesses not bring it up. That being said, all he can do at this point is sue the other party in the small claims division of the local magistrates court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we send a letter of demand for the money owing?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You can, but they can simply ignore it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have not heard a response from you?I wish to assist. Please click accept and rate my service. I can answer further questions after doing so at no further cost.​I look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloI note I have not received a response from you. Please click accept and rate my service. After doing so, I can answer further questions at no further cost.