Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My wife issued a check crossed ,000 in Cambodia in

Customer Question
My wife issued a check...
My wife issued a check crossed for US300,000 in Cambodia in 2012 5th Jan. it was on a Company for a company registered in Cambodia.
It was never deposited as other the monies was paid by other means. The payment was part of a $4m transaction which was signed by the debtor in agreement on 6th April, 2014.
Up until 6th April, 2014 Paid by us was $3,693,000
Balance to be paid was. $307,000
We agreed for a reduction to a balance of $130,000
On 27th July we paid $65,000
Hence Balance $65,000 but this we did not pay as still we did not receive Export Lic and balance Hect 982 short to be given.
In addition we are holding $550,000 which is a loan provided to the company by the same debtor(Ay You). Which will be released upon receiving the export Lic and 982 Hect. This is a criminal case can you let us know your advise on how the prosecutor should tackle it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
5/3/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.Is this in Australia?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The person is in Aus but the check from ANZ Royal in Cambodia.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's from a company in Cambodia and it's in Cambodia the transaction
Good AfternoonWhere is the criminal proceedings?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In Cambodia
Are they suing and prosecuting your wife?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes they are
If she is in Australia they cannot do much to her unless they extradite her to CambodiaIf they have not applied to have her removed from Australia to Cambodia she is safe provided she does not travel there. If they try to Extradite her then she should defend it here as the Courts will decide if they will let them take her. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is a permanent resident in Australia. More than anything else we just looking for a opinion on case would treated with this type of transaction even here.
Good AfternoonI cannot say how it will be treated in Cambodia.The Authorities here will not deal with it the crime was not committed here and they will not get involved. If the Cambodian Police want to extract her they have to show that she has a case to answer and that she will be treated fairly. If there is any issues the court will not issue an order for her extradition and she will need a solicitor to represent her here.
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor