How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44182
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in Fiji and I leave here in Sydney is it possible

Customer Question

I got married in Fiji and I leave here in Sydney is it possible to get a divorce here in Australia
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I got married in Fiji last year in May and since than i have been having marriage problem with my husband and he leaves in Fiji.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I found out my husband has been having an affair with another women.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.Yes it is. You will need the original ,marriage certificate from Fiji to prove you were married. But you can apply for a divorce here in Australia.If you are married fro less than 2 years the law says you need to have counselling. Also you have to be separated for 12 months before you can apply for a divorce. In Australia Divorce is a no fault system so you cannot use the fact he is having an affair to get it done quicker. You have to wait the 12 months. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon

Related Australia Law Questions