How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44340
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer has spoken to me wanting to reduce my pay and promised

Customer Question

My employer has spoken to me wanting to reduce my pay and promised a bonus scheme to be out in place instead or to compensate.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This was nearly 6 weeks ago, nothing happened, no communication and then last night checking my wages I see my pay has been reduced.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not agree to anything or sign anything. They changed my hours which I had no control over but coincidently I work more hours in office than previously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have had the option to say no? Is there another outcome? Should I have been given something in writing or notification this was going ahead on a certain day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They also tentatively told me my salary would be reduced by a couple of dollars. Their exact words. It is more than a couple of dollars in reduction. But my main concern is there has been no notification or communication.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.They cannot change your contract without your consent.If they are not giving you an option and saying you either agree or you are terminated it is coersion and not legal.They cannot change it without your consent and you need to get something in writing to be able to assess it correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original contract is not a formal contract just a simple word doc wtitten by my manager but it does clearly state my salary, job description and that I am a permanent employee does this matter? I also noticed you are NSW where I am VIC does this change my situation or the advice you have offered previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also as there was no consent are they allowed and without notification to reduce my paid salary as they have done?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningIt does not matter. It is the contract you are employed with. Unless you agree to amend it, it is still your contract. It makes no difference what state we are in the law is Australia wide. They cannot change your wages without you agreeing to it and it is coercion if they force it on you to much you out. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon