How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband's lawyer (who also happens to be his sister and

Customer Question

My ex husband's lawyer (who also happens to be his sister and my children's Aunty) is wanting to question my kids about my elevations of their father's abuse. I'm worried they will be too scared too tell her the truth. Is my ex-husband's lawyer/sister allowed to question my kids without someone else present and without my consent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.How old are the children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 & 11 (almost 12).
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningThe children are too young to be spoken to by the other side lawyer and if they feel that the children have to be spoken to then an independent expert should be appointed by the court.Do the children have their own court appointed lawyer or Independent childrens lawyer? Also being the aunt is not appropriate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the kids don't have a lawyer at this stage beause I haven't felt the need. My ex so far has only abused me. But he verbally abuses the kids when they are in his care and they have become scared to stay at his house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says it's a father's right to disaplain, but me and the kids believe it's more than that. It's his word against the kids. I'm not there to witness.
They don't want to talk to a councillor because they are scared their father will find out and get angry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no money for a lawyer for me or the kids. Last time I got legal aid for my separation my ex husband's lawyer/sister intimidated my legal aid and he didn't put up any argument or fight ( I ended up with his debt and no child support). So I don't have much faith in appointed legal aid.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningAre you in court yet?If you are then you should seek that an independent lawyer be appointed for the children.You need to do this to protect your children. Have you attempted to be legally aided even though you dont want them? Legal aid will pay private lawyers.