How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****, my issue is with my car JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****, my issue is with my car
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have just been through a separation and the car is currently with my ex, the cars in my name & i pay the loan but the police will not seize it back as they keep telling me this is a civil matter. how do i go about getting it back?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.Unortunately you will need to apply t a court to have the court order the car handed over.However, if the car is part of a wider property settlement that you will need to go through (which will likely be necessary if there are other significant assets; your assets have been mingled; or you have been together for several years; then likely it would be more efficient to just get a family lawyer to start the process of finalising a comprehensive property settlement, otherwise you could get orders from the magistrates court to get your car back and then have them effectively over-ruled by the family court subsequently reassigning property ownership.I trust the above assists your understanding.Good luck and please rate my answer.Patrick