Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was recently caught driving without a license. I was told a fine or…

Customer Question
Hello, I was recently caught driving...
I was recently caught driving without a license. I was told a fine or summons to court would come in the mail. 6 weeks later the police officer arrived at my home and handed my summons to my Mother, and not me. Is this legal? I haven't seen or spoken to the police officer since I was caught.
The police officer told my Mother I need a lawyer and that I must attend court or else it is a jail-able offence.
Has he legally delivered these documents? If not, what is the process?
Many Thanks
Amy Walder
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
4/4/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.Yes it is legalProvided it was served at your last known address that they have on file. I would suggest that you get a solicitor to represent you because if you have a bad record they will increase the suspension period.It is quite serious and if there are previous offences of driving without a licence it could be a jail term. They only have to deliver them to your home address and serve an adult over the age of 18. This is good service under the law. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Hi Leon,Thanks for your speedy reply. I do not have a bad record and this is a first offence for me, I live in quite an isolated area and my license is very much needed. what is the best angle to take in not getting my suspension increased?Also, can legal aid help with this as I highly doubt I will be able to afford a solicitor.Many thanks,Amy
Good MorningContact legal aid and make an appointment with them before the hearing date. They should have someone there on the day
Thanks for you help Leon.Have a nice day,Amy
Good Morning,Thank you very much and you have a great day too.You are very welcome and thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Hi leon,I am trying to figure out how to not be charged for this. There was a $5 obligation free charge and the remaining $76 would ve charged if i thought the help satisfactory.I thought you were helpful, but really you only just told me to go find a solicitor. I was hoping for some ideas that I could bring up with a solicitor or legal aid in tbe hopes lf not having my suspension extended.I will rate you though as I know this is your job. But in future I dont think I will use this site as I seem to have been fooled witb the payment thing.Many thanksAmy
Good AfternoonAll the best and thank you.
Hi leon,I am aware of that, as you have emailed 3 times in regards. Out of curiosity what is youer compensation?
I am not sure what you mean
Good MorningCan you please rate my work as I am not paid unless you do.Thank youLeon