How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5740
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away 12/15. He had MPI life with ANZ for

Customer Question

My husband passed away 12/15. He had MPI life with ANZ for $240k (original mortgage amount). On date of death we owed on a joint mortgage $120k which has been settled. They are now insisting I obtain probate to receive the residual amount.
All other insurance, superannuation etc has been settled on production of the will which names myself as sole heir and executor.
As it was a joint mortgage and I am sole heir should this be necessary?
Thanking you in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Not necessary really, if all else has been resolved.
File a complaint here,
The ombudsman can make a judgement call.
My sympathy to you.
Please click accept and rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after accepting also at no further cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't feel you answered the question as a yes or no!! The ombudsman is not an option as I don't have an issue obtaining probate if that's necessary!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I wasn't clear enough! :)
No it is not necessary. I advised that you can lodge a complaint to the ombudsman if you feel they are being unreasonable. As usually a death certificate would suffice to arrange your affairs.