How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44666
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I am trying to find if there is a

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I am trying to find if there is a statute of limitation on making a claim to recover money lent between family members?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: A sum of money was gifted from one family member to another and a Stat Dec was signed to that affect, but now the person that gifted the money wants it repaid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

To sue for money you have 6 years from the last payment they made or from the date you lent them the money which ever occurred last.

If it was a gift and the person that was gifted the money has the stat dec then the one that gifted it will not succeed in his or her claim.

They have no claim to get the money back. Only if it was a loan can they claim it back and they have 6 years from the date they gave it to the person or the last payment was made by the person.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.