How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44382
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I seperate from my husband and leave the house to m to

Customer Question

hi there can I seperate from my husband and leave the house to him to live in as he loves his house and garden and then when he passes away I get the house so I can sell it? I pay all the bills and always have and also paid for the house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

It is a possibility provided that your ex husband makes sure that you are left it in his will.

If he changes his will you do not get anything.

If you leave the house in joint names as joint tenants then it passes to you automatically. But you are both liable for payment of the outgoings and if there is a mortgage you are both liable. But when one of you passes away the house passes to the other automatically.

I suggest the second is the best option.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.