Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My ex wife lives in Fiji now with my daughter. We've been

Customer Question
Hi, my ex wife lives...
Hi, my ex wife lives in Fiji now with my daughter. We've been separated for more than 10years. First she said she didn't want anything from and she filed for divorce and full custody, now she's threatening me with child maintenance. Can she still get child support living overseas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
3/26/2016
Solicitor: Patrick H., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for your question.

Child support can be claimed from overseas provided the country in question is signatory to reciprocal arrangements (so that Australians can pursue child support claims against people in those countries.

Fiji is such a country so your ex can seek child support from you. The process and obligations are somewhat different so you will need to talk to the Department of Human Affairs to work out your liability and it may take longer to work out since it will depend on both the Australian and Fijian governments sharing information.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/reciprocating-jurisdictions-and-residency-child-support

I trust this assists.

Good luck and please rate my answer.

Patrick

Patrick H.
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer