Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A online scammer used my betting account to deposit funds…

Customer Question
A online scammer used my...
A online scammer used my betting account to deposit funds using stolen credit cards, and now my account is closed, i have reported to police, what should i do next? I am a university student i cannot afford to get in trouble with the law over something stupid like this. and i do not know what to do, he convinced me that he is a betting speciallist and that he can make double the money using my account and that we should split the funds 50/50, now sportbet have closed my account, i have reported to several agencies, what should i do next to prove my innoccents and i have also endevoured to pay the funds back to sportbet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Law
3/21/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

You have done the correct thing. Do you have his details? If you do then pass all this onto the authorities and you have to wait and see what happens.

Apart from this there is very little else you can do.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

I'm just scared to be honest, how much severity would you rate this from 1 out off 10? Yes I'm guilty for giving my account details to someone but I did not know his real intentions? Would debt be a civil issue or a criminal issue, I'm a 18 year old university student that's probably why I am just over exaggerating the issue.

Good Morning

If you have reported all this scaming and that you are innocent you should not be charged for anything.

The criminal case would be against the scammer the police should not charge you as you are an innocent party.

Any debt to sports bet would be civil against you as you are the owner of the account and liable.

do you think the police will just call me and question me about it? asking for details etc? or will they come to my house and do some unauthorized or something? im just scared im young and over exaggerating it i guess, what would you rate this issue out off 10? in the 1's or 2's?

Good Evening

They should contact you and ask you to come in for an interview.

If you do not report it, and keep it a secret it appears you worked with this person and was part of the fraud.

Sportbet have already reported it, one off my lawyers told me that, all they should do is call me and ask me a few questions is that correct? since i mistakenly gave away my account details and owe sportbet some funds? he said i might just be emailed asking to pay back the funds banking disputes that sportbet have received because off me giving my account away to the scammer.

Good Evening

they may just call but form experience they may ask you to come to the station or ask to come and see you to take a statement.

You have to sit down and clam down. Make notes as to how you were contacted by this person and what happened.

You have to wait and see what sports bet does and deal with that separately. That will be civil not criminal.

as far as it all sounds im in the safe end and will owe sportbet some funds? isnt that about it?

I suspect that is the case.

Yes.