Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My wife is a personal carer of over 10yrs at an aged care

Customer Question
Hello. My wife is a personal...
Hello.
My wife is a personal carer of over 10yrs at an aged care vacility.
She broke o.h.&s by lifting a pacient without an assistant.
The pacient fell on the floor and was taken to hospital for observation . fortunately no injury.
My wife made a second mistake and tried to get others to falsify documents.
A meeting is scheduled for tomorrow to sack her.
Question: is she still entitled to get her long service and holiday pay entitlements ?
Should she resign ( 30 days notice) prior to the meeting?
Thank you for your response
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Law
3/21/2016
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Leon, Solicitor

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

Have they terminated her for misconduct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Meeting to be held tomorrow for gross misconduct

Good Afternoon

What state of Australia does she work in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Victoria

Good Afternoon

Because she has done more than the minimum years required the law in victoria no longer has her forfeit the money and they have to pay her.

Here is a link about LSL in victoria

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/2035/long-service-leave-in-victoria-150-the-changes.aspx

She is lucky this change was made in 2005

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Good Afternoon

All the best

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. My wife was sacked today.

Good Afternoon

I am sorry to hear about that but due to her resigning this really means nothing and she cannot really sue for unfair dismissal but she still is entitled to her Long Service leave and if they do not pay her she can sue for it.

thank you for using my services.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor