How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44852
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to bring my partner to Australia. She is filipino and

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, i wish to bring my partner to Australia. She is filipino and is married in the Philippines but has been divorced in Guam. As the Philippines do not accept divorce for their citizens she is still married there. Will the Guam divorce be accepted in Australia. The Guam divorce only required for her to be in Guam for 7 days before applying for divorce.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that i can think of
JA: Our top Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

Do you wish to bring her over to marry or simply as your partner?

How long have you been together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been together less than 12 months. Marriage would be prefered to de facto
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

You can apply for a defacto partner visa but you have to know her for 12 months.

The fact that she may be married is not relevant and you do not have to worry about the divorce from Guam.

The visa application form is the same but you select defacto.

because you are not married you cannot bring her in as your wife and it would have to be on a tourist visa.

If she comes as a tourist you can apply here before her tourist visa expires and use the following form

If you wish to apply when she is overseas then use this form

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.I was already aware of being able to bring her in in this manner. I would like to know if the Guam divorce would be recognised in Australia so we could be married.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Under section 104 it would not be recognised because she would not have been ordinarily resident in Guam

She has to be ordinarily resident there not simply fly in stay 7 days and get a divorce.

If she lives there then it is valid. But if she is not a resident there, then it is not valid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leon i have just read part 5 of section 104. Would this apply to the divorce in Guam?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

Subsection 5 is conditional and that is but to which none of the preceding provisions of this section applies

and in this case subsection 3 applies she was not ordinarily resident.