How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have a leak under the house, and I am a tenant of

Customer Question

If I have a leak under the house, and I am a tenant of Department of the Housing
from Victoria, legally who is payng the bill for the missing amount of water.
Me, or them ?
The house is not my property, I pay rent, so I am not the owner.
The house is very old, and is for second time to have such trouble.
First time, few years ago I didn't pay anithing for the leak.
The Department of the Housing paid for the work done by the plumber, but the
South east water sent now a leak allowance applcation form to me, instead of
sending it to them.
If that leak allowance is not aproved, I have to pay about 700 hundred dollars for the
missing water. I ca't see what is going on under the house.
It is not my fault, and is not my house.
I am 84 year old and I don't speak english weel.
South Est Water think, because the account of the water bill is on my name, I am the
one to deal with such problem, eaven if I am just a tenant and not the owner of the house.
Please be kind and give me the right (legal) answer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

If there is a leak you have to report it to them and they have to fix it.

Usually the water usage is your debt.

You are the one that has to apply for the allowance and if you need help you can ask them to assist.

You are liable for the water usage.

Does the form say the owner of the property has to sign it?

Do you have a name of the person you contacted at the department of housing?