How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking at unregistered vehicle fines.... My wife received a

Customer Question

Hi, looking at unregistered vehicle fines....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife received a fine this morning for having her car unregistered only 4 days overdue.... all mail had been sent to her parents house so just looking to see if its worth asking for leniency on the fine as it was $700
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly ask for leniency but in my experience unless you have a compelling reason that is deserving of compassion or proves that you were completely not at fault for failing to receive your mail you are unlikely to have the fine waived.

If you think you can mount a credible argument first try writing to the agency that issued the fine as they will usually have guidelines as to when they can or should withdraw a fine.

Failing that you can apply to the court either to find you not guilty, if you think you have done nothing wrong, or to ask for a lesser fine if you think there extenuating circumstances that would justify a reduction in the fine (such as you are on a low income, or have a serious illness which impacts your ability to pay a fine, etc). Your prospects in court can be uncertain however, and if the court is unimpressed with your reasons for contesting the matter before the court, it can in fact increase the fine, so this is a risky option that should only be considered if you have a compelling reason for pleading not guilty or asking for a reduction.

I trust the above assists your understanding.

Good luck and please rate my answer.